Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I'm a Baby Steps Gardener!

In order to not focus completely on death and loss of life, my wife Debbie and I chose to plant an herb garden on Memorial Day. This is what it looked like at the nursery. It is a good thing that I already had an idea in my mind of what I was after. Good Grief! The options would have been nearly endless otherwise.

I have discovered that cooking offers a distraction from everyday life and just like a fly fisherman gaining additional satisfaction from using flies tied by himself, there is a strange satisfaction attained by being able to cook with herbs from one's own garden. I know! There is plenty of room for improvment and expansion here but today we bought some parsley, sweet basil, some chives, leeks, tarragon and arugula. I am totally looking forward to the day when I need to make some spaghetti or alfredo sauce and the parsley or basil will come from my own private supply.

1 comment:

  1. Bob,
    Glad your family is enjoying their herb garden, we are enjoying ours too! I just used our garlic chives on potatoes tonight. We also stuff our small chickens with lemon thyme (awesome), parsley, and rosemary. There IS a big satisfaction using fresh herbs in my cooking! Talk to you later- Laurie Lee Bartlett

    ReplyDelete