Monday, June 1, 2009

More Peppers and Tomatos. Yumm! Oh Yeah, and Flowers.

We continued to add to our little deck garden this week-end. There were no major changes. We only added a couple more varieties of tomato plants and two or three more varieties of pepper. We got a green bell, an orange bell, and a jalapeno. I'm afraid the jalapeno may be a bit toasty for anyone around here but me but I thought the picture showing wonderful red colored peppers made for a very attractive potted plant. We'll see, perhaps I can sneak a small amount into a salsa later in the summer just to "kick it up a notch" as Emeril might say.

Jonathan went for a bike ride with some of his friends tonight and wanted to eat at Taco Bell afterwards. That always opens the door for us to have something really special. He won't eat the good stuff so we eat it when he isn't here. When I discovered he wouldn't be joining us this evening, I hurried off to the grocery store for some of that nice sockeye they've been advertising. Perhaps you know that not all salmon is the same. It could be argued from a position of strength that sockeye is the best eating salmon out there. It is a little smaller, of course, but the color, texture, and flavor is outstanding. It was quite a bit less expensive to buy it still resembling a fish so I brought it home and tried out a very nice Fiskars filet knife that I got for a steal at an estate sale. I prepared a wonderful (if I do say so myself) leek sauce to accompany the salmon. In addition, because I get special strokes from my wife, I made some asparagus with a lovely mustard sauce. Man, what a treat! Take a look at dinner. Remember to click on the image to get a detailed view.

I probably should have warned you to keep a rag close by in case you accidentally drool on yourself. Hopefully no one was watching.

Ok let's get back to the garden. I am a little partial to the herbs since I have developed this facination with the culinary arts. Debbie, on the other hand, appreciates the colors and aromas of flowers. We stopped by Home Depot to buy some bovine excrement for her hydrangeas and had to stop and appreciate the lovely assortment of flowers that they had for sale. I think that there are not many blooming flowers more spectacular than the hibiscus. Apparently, she spotted a weakness in my resolve and suddenly we had a hibiscus in the cart.


She saw another plant that really caught her attention. It is called bougainvillea. She indicated that I'll probably be buying one for her for our anniversary which is coming up this week. I suspect that some day this week I'll come home and something resembling this will be in my front yard.


C'est l'amour!

2 comments:

  1. I would have to agree about the sockeye, I also like the leek sauce. I usually prefer my asparigus just lightly steamed but your mustard sauce sound really good. I might have to try that myself sometime.

    I like hibiscus and bougaivillea as well but it ususally gets too cold here in the winter unless you have them in a greenhouse or hot house, but good luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so delicious, I actually did drool all over. I love sockeye, also I love jalapenos. The hotter the better for me. Your sauce looks so good. I know I say this alot, I really need to come over for dinner.
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete