Wednesday, June 24, 2009

We Struck Fish! Too Bad Jon and I Have to Go Home!

Rember to click on the pictures that you want to see better!

Don't forget to read the next post as well. After all, it came before this one and is the first part of the same trip!



I was a bit disappointed about not getting in a second float but I can roll with the punches and decided to adapt to the conditions. Terry, the guy other fishermen want to be, suggested we go to some place he affectionately calls The Burn. Not having too many viable options, and having never been there, and having a learned respect for his opinion of what is a good spot, I decided to go along and try my hand at The Burn. Holy Cow! I sure am glad I came along. Look at this view. This alone is worth the trip!
I chose to wander down into the marshy area to the right in the previous image. As I meandered down there I took the time to take pictures of some wild columbine and roses.



You know something? I need a better camera man! Mine is never there when I need him. Sometimes you just have to make do!Once I'd made my way down to the water, it was only a few casts and I had hooked a small but legal trout. I let him go unharmed. Hopefully, he'll be there next year with a little more length and girth.Everybody was using Rapalas, a lure that is supposed to resemble a fish and is extremely effective on browns by the way, and though they offered to let me borrow one, I stubbornly chose to use my own gear. I have had a certain amount of experience with spoons and spinners, albeit with other species of fish, but I refused the accept the notion that brown trout will not strike out at them. The first fish I caught was on a steelie. Yeah, it was smaller but it was a fish and a brown trout just the same. I then switched to a red and white Mepps. This is a spinner that I have had a lot of success with as a kid catching grayling in Alaska. Perhaps it was a fluke but I had only made a couple of casts and BANG. I think this is a decent fish! This is the fish for which I've been looking! Thankfully, it stayed on the line and I was able to land it.
Often, I let fish go but there was enough length and girth to this fish for me to decide to add it to the food chain. I didn't eat it myself but I gave it to someone who will appreciate it. They had at least two others and by the end of the week, will probably have more.

Oh my goodness! You guys are a long way from home! This is Levi and his cousin Dennis. They decided to come up for the day on Levi's bike and surprise us. Here are some more pics of the people who shared this adventure.

Finally, I found someone to take my picture! Whew!Just to keep my pride in check, the Lord provided another fish just a bit bigger.

Well, that is it for now. Jon and I headed home to our regular lives. Today, I got up like normal and went to work. Sometime during the day, my phone gave me the signal that a text message had been received. I checked it out and it looks like Terry has passed the baton to his son Cullen. Apparently, this is one of the largest browns that they have ever pulled out of this stretch of water.Way to go Cullen! That is a beautiful fish!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun fishing trip... lots of good memories for everyone;~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob: Beautiful pictures .. Glad you had such a good time. Shirley Y our favorite mother in law

    ReplyDelete