Sunday, June 7, 2009

Lap 24 and Still Running Strong!

What were you doing 24 years ago today? It wouldn't be strange if you didn't know but if I didn't know what I was doing then I'd be in a world of trouble. Today is the anniversary of my marriage to my first wife, Debbie. To tell you the truth, it has been a true joy and I look forward to many more years with her. God has granted each of us the grace to continue to honor the promises that we made to each other all those years ago.


I love these words of Paul Overstreet.

What God Has Joined Together

With shaky knees and my old nervous grin
We stood before the Lord and all our friends
And your Daddy cried a teardrop as he gave his girl away
And I promised to keep lovin' you until my dying day

CHORUS: What God has joined together
Let no one come between
Or try to put asunder
Lovers building their dreams
The light that shines forever
Is now burning in our hearts
What God has joined together
Let no one ever part

Well that was several years ago today
And we walked some rocky roads along the way
But the lord has helped us make it through
These crazy ups and downs
And when we took the wrong road
He turned us both around

(REPEAT CHORUS)

When the evening of our lives on earth is near
And our eyes grow weak and words are hard to hear
Well I pray the Lord is tender
When he comes to call us home
And he lets us go together
So we'll never be alone.


(REPEAT CHORUS)

Isn't she amazing! Hasn't aged a day in all of those years!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, thank you honey! I can't imagine going through life without you. I truly love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, I am very thankful to have you as a brother in law! You are a good husband to my sister and I am thankful that the two of you are still in love after all these years! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're so happy for both of you and glad you took the time to honor your wife and your marriage in this way. Thanks for sharing and for the good example you are. Dad & Jonnie

    ReplyDelete