Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Family Campout 2010

Somehow our wires got crossed this year and our family campout had to change venues from Detroit Lake State Park to Cove Palisades State Park at Lake Billy Chinook. I was a little disappointed I’ll have to admit. Traditionally, I have loved to sneak away and venture off up the Breitenbush River to tease the native and hatchery trout that can be found beneath the surface of that stream.

I went ahead and brought some gear with me but it is beginning to look like I might not get to fish much this year due to some details which are too complicated to outline here.

REMEMBER TO CLICK ON THE IMAGES FOR MORE DETAIL!



One of the amazing features of the State of Oregon is the diverse content of landscapes. We have ocean beaches, Alp-like mountains, rain forests and high desert. Cove Palisades is located in the high desert of Central Oregon. One cannot visit this area and not be awed by the remarkable rock formations along the high plateaus above the reservoir.



I wonder what kind of cataclysmic activity caused the basalt columns to twist and turn into what we see today. Was it volcanic or perhaps the flood from the days of Noah or a massive release of water after the ice age? What ever the causal forces were, I’m glad I wasn’t there to witness it.

Here is something else that is amazing. We have here what appears to be a harsh, arid climate but amongst the dried grass and dust one can still find some apparently delicate flora appearing to flourish.



The scenery here is just lovely. In spite of my first feelings of disappointment, this is starting out to be a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment