Monday, February 15, 2010

Love? Work? Maybe It's All The Same!


I was just reading up on the Valentine's Day traditions. I thought that I had read somewhere that the traditions were based, at least loosely, on some actual historic person. Today, I'm reading that the "historic person" is a little ambiguous. I guess that there are a few different people with the name Valentine who might be the person referred to as St. Valentine. Apparently, the romantic association may have been invented by the poet philosopher Geoffrey Chaucer. Is this history being rewritten or is new truth being revealed? Whatever! I am not going to research all of the ancient documents to discover the truth on my own. It just isn't that important to me.

Ok, let me admit this much! In the final hour, I drove to Albertsons and purchased a couple of boxes of candy/cookies with French (the love language) writing on them. I don't know if it made any difference but it did suffice as insurance in case my beloved had secretly purchased a confection or floral gift for me.

Let me tell you how my love was revealed in action. Perhaps you are aware that we, Debbie and I, supplement our income with a hobby enterprise which I shall heretofore refer to as junking. Junking is the act of buying someone elses junk and turning it into treasure for a third party. Well, this weekend there was an estate sale which started on Friday. The address was to be made available on Thursday evening and so I found myself in the general neighborhood with my beloved partner refreshing my mobile at the approximate time when the address was to be revealed. When we got the address, we hurriedly drove to the destination to get our names on a list to gain early access to the contents of said estate the following day. I was unable to attend so my "second", son Jonathan, stood in for me as a second is bound to do. Together, Debbie and Jonathan worked feverishly for ten or fifteen minutes to accumulate a pile of booty which in this case consisted of nearly a half ton of ornimental concrete.






Oh my goodness! Did I have my work cut out for me on Saturday and, yes, it even ran into Sunday afternoon. Don't get me wrong! If she can make money buying junk, (and she can) even if it is old concrete, then I am fully ready to sacrifice my body for the cause. You have to remember that in todays economy, if you have the ability to make money, then you had better do it because it just isn't coming as easy as it may have in the past.

I love my Valentine! She has been endowed with talents which not only generate money but enhance this loving relationship to the nth degree! What could be better than that?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a rather fun weekend and I must admit that I thought much of it looked interesting especially the bird baths.

    You are correct you do have a great lady there, and together you make a great couple!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob : Thanks so much for your tribute to Debbie, the joy it brings this Mother is much, we do appreciate and love you and are very thankful that you are part of our family . Shirley (Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you two (or three :)) found some fun things. What's the plan for the concrete blocks? Are those for the shop or your own yard??? I have to say, that's my idea of the perfect gift. One year for Mothers Day Terry and the kids helped me load up two pickups full of river rock to line my flower bed....they couldn't have done anything more special!!! Good job Bob!

    ReplyDelete