Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Collection of My Thoughts



Now sports is not a big priority in this family and that seems to be kind of a tradition with us. I don't see any interest in sports in my wife's parents and there was very little interest in my own family as I was growing up. In fact, I had never watched a football game till I moved here to Oregon when I was a sophmore in highschool. The first Superbowl that I can recall viewing on the television was when I was a freshman in college in about 1979. As it turns out, I do enjoy watching the game once in a while and although I don't think this year was my favorite Superbowl, it was a good one and held my attention to a fairly decent degree. I generally root for the underdog and was pleased to see New Orleans come out on top this year. It is always a good reminder to see someone or in this case, a group of someones, overcome all of the challenges ahead of them and find themselves at the top of the mountain.



I told you a couple of posts ago about this new phone that I purchased. It has been an interesting few weeks as I have continued to become more familiar with it and its features. I now feel fairly confident with the device but let me share with you a fun little experience that I had with it tonight. We need to purchase a headset with a microphone so Jonathan can keep in touch with his teachers. Perhaps you already know that he does his schooling at home on line. The school has had a couple of very low end headset/mic combinations delivered here but the quality has matched the price and they haven't worked very well. We decided to check out the availability of better sets this evening and went to BestBuy. They had options ranging from $19.99 to $127.99. Oh my goodness! What makes one set that much better than the other? There was a set marked down to $49.99 but I couldn't tell what the original price was. It occurred to me that I had recently downloaded a free application to my phone that utilized the camera as a barcode reader. I chose to scan the barcode from the item and discovered, to my complete surprise, that this particular headset was available online at any number of websites for nearly half of the price that BestBuy listed as "on sale". Well, needless to say, we left the store and will be purchasing a headset from one of the popular online stores.


Ok I've been thinking. I know that you're tempted to warn me not to hurt myself by putting all of that extra pressure on my brain. Well, its too late! The thoughts have already escaped the gray matter and are now leaking through my fingers into the blogosphere.



I was thinking about synthetic sweeteners. You know man-made replacements like saccharin, nutrasweet, aspartame, artificial sweeteners. They make things taste sweet but they always seem to leave a bitter aftertaste in the mouth. I'm told that if one uses it long enough, one will begin to prefer it over real sugar. I suppose that may be true. I hope that I never get to the place where I prefer a man-made supplement to the real thing!




NKJV Psalm 119:103
How sweet are Your words to my taste,
Sweeter than honey to my mouth!

3 comments:

  1. I thought that I had missed your blog this week. I enjoyed this one; you seemed to run the gamet of topics but it was a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always enjoy your post and want to say Thanks for getting the rusty bolts out of an appliance at our house. Shirley

    ReplyDelete