Sunday, January 3, 2010

Oh Wow! Are You Sure It's Fifty?



I remember a time when only old people had 50 candles on their cake. Today, as many of you know, was my birthday. Fifty years ago I was the newest cheechako in the State of Alaska. Perhaps you've heard the line that if you say you can remember the sixties then you weren't really there. Well, I don't remember everything that happened politically or socially in the sixties but I do remember a lot of things that happened to me during that time. I was there for the whole decade except for the first two days. Now don't get all excited. I'm not going to talk about the sixties or the last 50 years. Today I'll be relating just about this weekend and today in particular.

Yesterday Debbie and I went back to the Grand Central Bakery and we each enjoyed a pastry and a cup of coffee. We also had purchased two loaves of their bread. One being the one they call Campagnolo and the other was their Sour Rye. I haven't been disappointed with any of loaves which we've purchased in the past and am anticipating these to be no different.

I chose to prepare my own birthday meal so later in the day I drove to the grocery store and purchased what would be our meal today. I decided to get some of my inspiration from Jamie Oliver again. I picked two recipes from one of his books which we picked up from the library. The first was a dish called Sticky Sausepan Carrots.

The second was called Rosemary Roasted Cubed Potatoes.

You know? You're right. That looks a lot more like boneless rib roast. That's because it is. It was the main course and I forgot to take a picture of the potatoes. I really enjoyed each of these. I think nearly everybody else liked them as well but there are a lot of left overs so perhaps I'll be enjoying them for the next few days. Probably I just made too much. I forgot to say that we stopped at Trader Joes to purchase some fancy cheeses and crackers

to serve just prior to the meal. The first course was a creamed broccoli and cheese soup.

I probably shouldn't have prefilled my guests. Now I will need to discover some sort of soup or stew to which I can add these delightful ingredients.

In the mean time, I guess I'll just get up and head off to work tomorrow and I'm pretty sure that I'll feel the same as I did yesterday. You know, fifty really isn't all that bad.

3 comments:

  1. You wear the years well Dear! Your birthday dinner was just F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S! Loved everything, even the cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Bob I didn't realize this was the big 5 0, but a whole lot slips right on thru this head these days. If I would have remembered I would have wished you an extra-extra happy birthday! The dinner you prepared looks wonderfully delicious! Happy 50th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The b-day dinner sounded great! Looks like your online store is doing well. Have a great week.Kath

    ReplyDelete