Saturday, September 19, 2009

Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life or Maybe the Last


It is funny how the mind works. This week I've been tuned in a little to my own mortality. Last week a young relative of mine nearly choked on a piece of chicken. Earlier this week, a man who I didn't really know but I had had contact with him and his family, was killed by a hit and run driver up in Vancouver, WA. I am fairly confident that he died a child of God because of some of the things that I know about him and his family. It is interesting to ponder why the Lord sometimes calls his own home at an earlier date than we might wish or expect. There are some, as in my first example, whom He allows to remain alive and vibrant, and there are others who might have been equally as alive today but for some reason beyond our ability to comprehend, He has chosen to remove from life as we know it here. It probably makes no sense to wonder why because after all, who can know the mind of God.

On the other hand it always makes sense to continually consider the fact that we are each fragily mortal and need to live our lives aware that our last breath is not in our hands but in His alone. There may be those of you out there who read this blog regularly and may have forgotten or chosen to ignore what I believe is a fact, that each breath is a gift from the creator and your time here on earth is your only opportunity to choose to spend eternity in His presence. If you choose to live your life separated from Him, He will not require that you spend eternity with Him. It is now, while He allows you breath, that you must choose. In the words of the noted philosopher and author of many classic books C. S. Lewis, "There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way."

Along a similar note, tomorrow is a date that for the greater portion of my life and I guess even today was, and is, a celebrated anniversary.

It was my mother's birthday. We lost her a few years ago and I don't want to let her memory fade just yet. She contributed countless hours and prayers to what I have become today. Much of what I think was molded from her instruction and example. She left a fine legacy in both children and grandchildren. I, for one, will always remember September 20 as a special day full memories and respect for a woman who helped mold me into the person that I am today. The good stuff was from her, the bad stuff is mine. Happy Birthday, Mom!

And though perhaps she wouldn't have found it appropriate, today I raise a glass in her honor!

3 comments:

  1. Bob: Thanks for the tribute to your Mom. I appreciated it also.
    Shirley (your favorite mother-in-law

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,
    Thanks for helping to keep those memories of mom alive. Recently I found myself missing her a bunch and it still makes me sad that she's gone even after 3 years. I am thankful for the hope we have of seeing her again some day.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a great post! I thought I might be the only one that remembers her Birthday. She definitely instilled the "best". I so appreciate all that she was and stood for now looking back. Thanks~kathy

    ReplyDelete