Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I was sooo disapointed with Ebay yesterday! I know they are a big company and feel that they need to be politically correct in their policies but when their policies aren't even logically consistant it is hard to not be angry with them.

I had this auction that was doing really well for me and Ebay allowed it to go all week and then about two hours before it was scheduled to end, they cancelled it and said it violated Ebay's listing rules.
Ok, they've done that to me before with other types of items and I have been able to live with it but in this case, all of the auctions that I am current running have one thing in common. They are all steel leg-hold animal traps. They are designed to catch and hold animals so that they can be harvested for their fur and/or any other parts that may have a commercial value. They didn't cancel any of the others. They only chose to cancel the one that was making a lot of money. Nobody is going to spend the amount of money that had been bid, and I suspect someone was going to bid a lot more, perhaps two or three times as much, to put this item out in the woods to catch an animal. This was a collector piece, something for decoration or to appreciate for its own intrensic value. Can you guess why it was cancelled? Because it was bigger than 5 1/2 inches and had teeth. I think the teeth thing is irrelevent because teeth or not, the trap will hold its intended prey. The 5 1/2 inch thing is completely void of sound reasoning. Does this kind of logic mean that is ok to catch small animals in a leg hold trap but not larger animals? This kind of thinking is not only wrong, but it is illogical. Why would it be ok to catch small animals but not large animals? Do large animals have more rights or do they feel sensations differently than smaller animals? What kind of moron thinks like this?

Now I need to rethink how to sell it. I generally like Ebay because it is a venue that reaches a wide domestic and even international audience. I may still use them but I need to figure out how I can do it without their knowing what I am doing. I have done that before with items that I knew had special collector value, were legal and moral, but fell into a politically incorrect category. I think I will spend a little time thinking about how to beat them at their own game.

Oh Dude! Can I change the subject? Of course I can! This is my blog! This is about me and what I think! Read it, like it, or ignore it but this is about me! I hope you'll enjoy it but I'm not asking for your permission! Hope you don't mind but this part of this post is about food again. I think everyone should be interested in food. Ok maybe not, but if they tried even a little, there should be some particle of interest in food in everybody. I mean, everyone needs to eat don't they? Whatever! Look at what I made the other day! The menu came from Martha Stewart's web site. (Let me let you in on a little secret. I don't care what anyone thinks about Martha Stewart, I like her and I respect her opinion on food, decorating, and business. I read "The Martha Stewart Rules" and I believe with all of my heart that if a person wants to be an entrenpreneur, they should read that book. Believe whatever you want about her, she understands business and what it takes to be successful in the business world).

The menu came from Martha Stewart. Click Mediterranean Chicken Menu



It was kind of exotic, tasty, and worth of another visit, perhaps with guests. The menu included Mediterranean Chicken, Herb-Feta Salad, and Rice Pilaf. I totally enjoyed it. Granted, I am not always friends with olives but these were called Kalamata and had been marinated in red wine and were not bad to say the least. Anyway, the menu was delightful and each of the three courses was both sensational and worth another visit.

2 comments:

  1. Bob,
    Sorry to hear that the auction on the BIG trap went south on you. Maybe the insignia on your ruler had something to do with it..."American Funeral Plan" Actually I doubt it but it struck me as rather funny. That one would sure look nice on our wall but we probably couldn't afford it! I say try it again and hopefully it will stay under the radar. I hope to have a new post soon of an upcoming canoe trip down the Rogue R. Take care.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, sorry about the ebay business. I was pretty excited about the way that auction was going.

    I'm so happy to see you cooking. You don't know how that pleases me. The menu looks great. We love kalamata olives here. I'll have to try that chicken recipe. Debbie must be so pleased and impressed with your offerings.
    Konrad

    ReplyDelete