Sunday, August 23, 2009

My Tastebuds Were Singing Like Angels!

Jonathan has gone to visit with his friend Taylor this evening through Tuesday so that is our signal to go ahead and open the valves and allow the freeflow of cullinary possibilities to pass through our imaginations, past our lips, over our taste buds, and settle in our stomachs for a satisfying series of sensatational snacks.

Oh my goodness! Tonight was almost beyond belief. Even before the meal was cooked I was wondering if I was going to make it. Out of all of the ethnic possibilities, Italy has easily maintained the prominant positition in my list of favorites. Tonight I was working from a book titled "Italian Favorites" The Best of Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library. I chose three recipes. The first was: RED BELL PEPPERS WITH POLENTA.

My second choice was: ASPARAGUS WITH PROSCIUTTO.

My third and final choice for this evening was: SAUTE'ED FISH WITH GARLIC, ROSEMARY, AND RED PEPPER FLAKES.

Now to be perfectly candid, and especially because this particular dish didn't turn out exactly as I might have hoped, I had to use flounder instead of the monk fish that was suggested in the recipe. I also would have had to make a run to the store for fresh rosemary instead of the dried herb which I had on hand. The selection of fish needs to be one which will stay together during the cooking process. The flavor of the fish was consistant with what one might expect, however, the fish didn't maintain its original form as well as I might have hoped.

The other two recipes pleasantly met or exceeded expectations.

Over all, this evenings epicurean encounter was a delight and there will be another attempt in the near future to meet or beat tonights experience.

2 comments:

  1. The dinner was magnificent! You put so much time into it, so much more then I would ever do. The colors were bright and very appealing!
    A+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that makes my mouth water looking at the pictures! You are such an amazing cook... Hope you had fun. Also, we need to go disk golfing again, I found out about some other good courses near you...
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete