Sunday, July 19, 2009

When I Look Down From Lofty Mountain Grandeur!


Before I start out today, I just want to be sure to thank all of you who take the time to read this blog. Granted, I get a lot of enjoyment just from writing this stuff, but to actually discover that there are those of you out there who enjoy keeping up on what goes on in my life is very encouraging. Thank you!

Be sure to click on any pictures for a closer look.

Wow, the other day I heard a voice on the answering machine that I hadn't heard in many years. I called right back and he answered the phone. It was Konrad F. He was a missionary who I met while on a summer mission trip to France in 1980. He had since come back stateside and is living in Chicago and works for Moody Bible Institute. He called to see if we could get together to catch up on each others lives. During the conversation, he indicated that he planned to hike to McNeil Point on Mt. Hood. Since I often have an inflated idea of my physical abilities I asked to tag along. I am sooo glad I decided to follow along as the scenery was just amazing! Let me share some of them with you.





Take a look at the wildflowers.


Look at the lupine!

And the beargrass.

There was lots of indian paintbrush.

There were many that I can't identify by name but they deserve a place here.





This was the strangest of all.

I had to take its picture!

This little hut is at the 6000 foot mark. Can you imagine having to build it.

We ate our lunch here and then headed back to the car.

Let me leave you with a few more images of our trip.




Please read these words by Swedish author Carl Gustav Boberg. In english we call this hymn:

How Great Thou Art

O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made,
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed:

(Chorus:)
Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee
How great Thou art! How great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee
How great Thou art! How great Thou art!

When through the woods and forest glades I wander
and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze:

(Chorus)

And when I think that God, His Son not sparing,
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin:

(Chorus)

When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, my God, how great Thou art!

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Bob and the photos were absolutely gorgeous, thanks for sharing;~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful day. The pictures were absolutely beautiful.
    You are so right, How great is our God, just look at the beauty He has created for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just took the hike with you Bob.Glad you had such a great day.Our Father is pleased when we look to him as the Creator.Blessings on you,Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some beautiful pictures... I love hiking, that looks like a fun one! I really enjoy reading your blog:)
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for letting me back into your life, Bob and for the great day of hiking. It was the best!

    Konrad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bob,
    What a great way to spend a weekend! I'll try to help you out with a couple of the flowers. The cream colored flower with the three petals and yellowish center I believe is a Mariposa Lily. The other pic that looks more like a lily I think is a Fawn Lily or at least a variety of it. The red one is Indian Paintbrush. I have photographed those fuzzy headed pale green flowers at Crater Lake but I forget their name. Thanks for sharing your trip with the rest of us.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Dave. I always like being able to identify the local flora. I think you would have really enjoyed this trip. It truly was beautiful and will be a memorable hike for a long time!

    ReplyDelete