Thursday, June 2, 2011

Portland Weird? Seattle's Weird Too!


My last post about our getaway to Seattle got a little long so I decided to return to the subject for a second post. We really didn't get too far away from Pikes Place Market but the place is completely pregnant with ideas and things to blog about. First of all there are many different musicians and other kinds of performers ready to do their thing for nothing more than a few coins in a cup. I mean look at that guy in the first picture. Who would paint themselves up in silver and pretend to be a manequin? That's weird. Then there was the guy who had trained his parrot to play dead and was throwing it up in the air like it was some kind of toy. How about the dude balancing his guitar on his chin? Probably one of the least wierd people was this guy.

I mean he's only dressed in orange stripes and tying balloons into animals. Ok here's something that was really weird. We wandered up the street to the H & M store. (It's not my kind of store but the trip wasn't all about me.) I decided to take a picture of Debbie as she is contentedly shopping for whatever women shop for and some little man comes up to me and says I can't take pictures in the store. Store policy! What? Ok I was ready to leave after that but again the trip wasn't all about me. Grrrrr! Finally we did leave after I couldn't convince Debbie not to buy something. Anyway, we walk down an alley

and saw this.

Do you know what this is? I mean it has Ewwww! Yuck! All over it! Let me give you a closer look.


That's right. It's used gum. Some weird group in Seattle probably thinks this is art. What is that about?

Let me change the subject and talk about something that doesn't upset my stomach. Don't you love cheese? It so often just adds that little bit of extra to a meal. We discovered a certain white chedder at New Seasons Market that is just soooo good. It is hand crafted by a company called Beecher's. They call the particular cheese that we like Flagship. So we're walking down the street at Pikes Market and Voila!

There it is!





I love knowing where my food comes from. All the while Debbie is smelling the delightful aroma of baked pastries. It turns out it is coming from a place called Piroshky Piroshky. There was a line


(You're going to have to click on the picture above if you're going to see Debbie way at the end of the line waving back at me). Anyway, this shop is the brain child and spawn of a Russian immigrant. They bake up and serve both savory and sweet patries.



Debbie chose a sweet chocolate hazelnut pastry and I took a more savory Potato Onion Cheese. I didn't get to taste hers but she reports that it was wonderful. Mine was very good as well and I'm confident that the next time we're in Pikes we will be standing in that line again.

Well, once again I have bloviated far longer than most attention spans. So with that I will say that the trip was a delight and though it was short, I felt refreshed and ready to assume normal life once we returned home. Thanks for stopping by and I hope that this drivel hasn't put you to sleep but instead inspired you to visit the weird city of Seattle.

1 comment:

  1. No actually it made me laugh. I even had to show the gum wall picture to my coworker since it was so disgusting! Guess people that unload their gum all over the place has always been a pet peeve of mine. At least they are keeping in consolidated! Please check out my latest project on our blog with part 2 soon to follow.
    Take care.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete