Sunday, June 5, 2011

Looks Like I'm In The Vintage Lighting Business


This was a big weekend in the junkin' business. There were sooo many sales and fortunately, a lot of the competition was out of town sellin' junk at an event called Farm Chics in Spokane. That, however, was a perfect opportunity for us. Debbie is off work for the summer so she bribed Jonathan to hit the circuit with her on Friday and they happened upon a jackpot of chandeliers. The only catch was that we had to return to the sale at the end and take them down.


Not a problem! Generally, this kind of lighting is very dificult to find and when one does, it is expensive. I mean, for example, I saw a chandelier at an estate sale this weekend for $325.00 and another for $575.00. I mean, get real! I can't buy that and expect to resell it for a profit. The sale that Debbie happened upon, however, had a number of chandeliers at prices that we were able to buy and expect to be able to resell them. I think she got a very nice variety. They all need to be cleaned up and tweeked a bit. (We usually rewire them enough to be able to plug them in so that they can be shown lit up.)She got eight in all

and in addition, there was a really cool lamp.


It, too, needed a bit of work but I already have it up and running.

I have to admit that I think that a lot of this green, recycling stuff is a lot of bunk. However, I truly love being able to take an item that is fully 70 or 80 years old and turn it back into a useful and even desirable product.

2 comments:

  1. I never knew you had a blog too! You are a great helper to go take down all those chandeliers...I saw Debbie at that sale looking at one of them, but did not realize she had bought them in bulk! Good find and happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O M G!! Chandelier heaven! You hit the jackpot! Now that's what I call a good day treasure hunting. Can't wait to see them at Monticello! ~Joyce
    a.k.a. Calamityjaneslifestyle.blogspot.com

    P.S. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete