Thursday, March 4, 2010

I'm Coming Out of the Closet!

Yeah! That's right! Get away from the door. I'm coming out! Now wait just a minute! It's not what you're thinking. It's just this blog that I have been reading periodically for the last year or so. I know that is primarily targeted at chicks but somehow, I often find something rather endearing about it.

Let me back up a bit. This afternoon when I got home from work, I noticed a package from Amazon.com outside the door, I hadn't purchased anything recently so I was fairly confident that Debbie had ordered a book. I was even pretty sure that I knew which book she'd ordered. I was wrong. Apparently, she had secretly ordered a cookbook for me.

Have you ever heard of Ree Drummond? She's this woman who started out life as a city girl and somehow her destiny took an unexpected turn when she met and married a cowboy rancher and instead of settling in Chicago or some other big city, ended up on some remote ranch in Oklahoma. The part that I find so endearing is that after at least four kids and a number of years of marriage, she is still so romantically infatuated with her husband. It is so refreshing and encouraging to see a relationship that remains strong and vibrant even after a number of years of marriage. The blog, if you'd care to check it out, is called Confessions of a Pioneer Woman.

I am particularly drawn to the posts which she writes about her brother Mike who apparently has certain mental challenges, and also I love the posts that pertain to the animals around the ranch, as well as her kids and even her "Cowboy" who she affectionately calls Marlboro Man.

The book itself is beautifully decorated with Ms. Drummonds original photography and contains a fine collection of some of her favorite recipes. I'm secretly giddy to now own this book and above all, I am sooo fortunate to have my own woman who is infatuated enough with me to purchase it on the sly as a gift for me.

2 comments:

  1. That Auntie Deb has always been so sweet!
    Ericka Rowley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, I enjoy the pioneer woman also. I enjoy her sense of humor and I have used a few of her recipes. I am sure you will have fun with that cook book and your family will enjoy the results.

    ReplyDelete