Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Fifty Shades of Green


Forgive me readers, for I have sinned. It has been 5 1/2 months since my last post. It's not like I've been in a coma or anything. It's just that I'm not like the Pioneer Woman who can make mowing the lawn sound interesting.

In spite of the title, and the fact that this is a dirty post, you'll find that you will will not need to cleanse your mind after reading it. The dirt, after all is just the kind of earth in which one might plant their roses.

Anyway, my first wife Debbie, ok, she's my only wife, has been going crazy for a number of months or years about some arbor vitae that we had lining our driveway. She finally convinced me to take action. She wanted to buy a chain saw and reduce them to stumps. I was a little hesitant to spend that money as I already had a saw that I had bought in a garage sale a few years ago or maybe ten. The tricky part was that in all of the years that I'd owned this saw, I had never actually had it running. :( Well, I spent a few minutes with it and Oh My Goodness! You got it! I got it started and sawed down all of the arbor vitae along the driveway. As it turns out, the saw does have issues but the arbor vitae are gone and there was suddenly room for a new era of plants and yard decore. She had a vision which included an arbor, roses, hydrangeas, various other flora, statuary and digging, a lot of digging! By the end of the day, I thought that I had dug my own grave. Fortunately for me, I have been taking my pills and I survived the physical labor. Let me share a few images of the finished or at least, nearly finished project.

This image is what the driveway looked like before the project began.


These images show the yard as it looks today!

As much as I hate working in the yard, I believe that there is a marked improvement. Who would have thought?

3 comments:

  1. Bob,
    I'm one who faithfully checks your blog each week and today you surprised me! Nice to have you back. The yard looks great. Don't tell anyone but I like flowers and shrubs and consequently don't mind mind pulling a few weeds and digging a few holes here and there. Stay tuned for some recent pictures of our yard and a few short outings. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Bob, this looks great!! I am impressed. And I do believe we learn to like yard work as we see improvements. I use to hate it.Now I love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work. I don't know if I'm more impressed with the yard or the chainsaw, but you're great!

    ReplyDelete