Sunday, October 4, 2009

Now That Was Really Good!

Anytime my readers post a comment, I receive an endorphine injection. I like endorphine injections. If you like me, please comment and allow me the pleasure! Ahhh!

Let me just say that a comment, no matter how trivial in your eyes, is a valued event to me.

Have you ever heard of Jamie Oliver? He is sometimes referred to as the "Naked Chef". Apparently, that title has nothing to do with nudity but instead refers to the simplicity of Jamie's recipes. Whatever! Let's get beyond the word "naked" and get to the crux of this post. I recently read a post on another blog which peaked my interest in Jamie Oliver. Apparently, it also peaked the interest of my dear life partner, friend, and wife, Debbie as she checked out a video dvd from the library called "Oliver Happy Days Tour Live!" She also checked out a book called "Jamie At Home" by Jamie Oliver. To get to the point, we watched the video and enjoyed a wonderfully enchanting evening with Jamie. The dvd was enjoyable, funny, and remarkably clean and void of any kind of bathroom humor or any content which might be considered questionable, at least in my opinion. I would recommend it highly, especially to anyone who enjoys cooking and food preparation.


The book is very nice as well and includes a fine collection of pictures as well as personal commentary from Jamie.

Tonite I am featuring a recipe from this book.


I chose "Steak, Guinness and Cheese Pie with a Puff Pastry Lid". This recipe can be found on page 342 of the book. I am not a friend of Guinness, in particular, so I chose a stout which I do enjoy from the Deschutes Brewery. They have called their stout "Obsidian" and it pleases my pallet to a far greater degree than Guinness ever has.

Ok. Now to get down to the important and perhaps more subtle and distinguishing component of this post. The time required to achieve the end was significant and the folks upon whose opinion I heavily rely were getting ancy towards the end. However, when the alarm finally sounded and I was free to announce the completion of the dish, everybody had a positive commentary.

In fact, I too was impressed. It was both beautiful and tasty. I even had it again for lunch and it was still good. I will certainly revisit this recipe but next time I'll either start much earlier in the day or prepare the filling the day before I intend to eat it.

8 comments:

  1. The dinner was magnificent!!! You always do such a good job. I am one lucky woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you continue to explore. No kidneys in your pie? Don't blame you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy says she'll have the steak and Guinness pie next time we come to your house. It's one of her favorites

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! I need a rewrite of the chewy bread recipe. Maybe you can bring it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh.... That looks so delicious! You are such an amazing cook/chef/food person! I want some of that next time I visit, actually, I should just stay longer next time and have something different every night:)
    I'm hoping to get out hunting again the next few weekends, and I'll be sure to share any game with you...
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have some too!!! Looks splendid. I am messing around with the store blog in case you didn't notice. Trying to drum up some Holiday business.Love Kath

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the "no knead" bread again this weekend and could have eaten the whole loaf, it was soooo tasty. Try it sometime.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy we must be related because I get an endorphine rush too when someone leaves me a comment! I only with I had more to post. Take care and keep on cooking!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete